More work on Larry the Llama: deeper color in the background, and some more details in eyes, nose, and elsewhere. I may be able to finish him soon. When I am all done, I will put together a video of the process start-to-finish. Ink and Inktense on cotton hotpress paper, 8″x8″.
Following yesterday’s video of the initial ink drawing, here I am doing the first wash on colored ink using Inktense blocks by Derwent. First, I make puddles of Inktense color in a teal, a bright green, and a yellow-green. I tape off the image boundaries with pink painter’s tape to keep the outside ink-free. Then I work wet-on-dry onto the paper with my squirrel mop brush, starting with the lightest color and working toward the darkest. I let the very damp colors bleed into each other. I’ll let this dry, and do more tomorrow. Video sped up 10x. Ink and Inktense on cotton hotpress paper, 8″x8″.
A speed drawing of Larry the Llama. I begin with Blick Premiere hot press watercolor block. I use plastic triangles glued and taped together to form an 8″ x 8″ square. I draw around the shape to create my image boundaries, using an 08 Micron pen, which is waterproof ink. Then, using my own photo reference of Larry, I draw in the main contour lines using a mechanical pencil.
Larry the Llama lives at Bravo Farms in Traver, CA. He will come to you if you have feed from the little coin dispenser. He does not want you to pet him. In fact, he was even spitting at a couple of the kind souls who were feeding him. I love his llamatude anyway.
After the pencil lines, I ink the outlines using a Micron brush pen, which is also waterproof. finally, I erase the pencil marks and Larry is ready to be painted! this footage is sped up 16-20 times; it represents about 16 minutes of drawing time. Ink on cotton hotpress paper, 8″x8″.
Yesterday, I finally added the gradient color to the fox’s body. It looked so much more dynamic than the other animals, I started repainting them too. I still have to do the ermine in the lower left. Acrylic on false shutters, my house, suburbia.
I finished the fox on the shutters. I love this bolder gradient so much, I want to rework the other three animals now. The fox’s legs and face blend into the brown background right now, but when I paint the background dark gray it should look amazing. I’m using Liquitex acrylic paints.
Only 15-20 minutes work tonight on the shutters, mainly small details. Made sure all the gold was thick and not streaky. Same with the orange dots everywhere. I added red to the diamond dots on the deer panel. the details make sure the piece looks really unified. Still a few more design details left, like blue circles inside the dials on the left. Maybe a couple more flowers. Then I look forward to finishing the fox’s body, so I can paint the whole background a dark gray. This should make the design really pop.
I little bit of extra artsy work: I just received the 72-color box of Inktense blocks I ordered. I swatched all 72 colors last night and tonight.
Another 45 minutes done. First layer of gold for the fox’s diamonds. Another layer of gold elsewhere where it was patchy (the paint is semi-transparent). Mainly, I deepened the blue shadow regions in the deer. Looking at the photo now, I think the whole background needs to be much darker than its original shade of brown. A nice neighbor I had never met pulled her car over to tell me she was in love with the artwork. ❤️
Today was the first day in months that I worked on the shutters. It’s so hot that I could only work for about 45 minutes. As I go further, the changes are less obvious. I started the diamonds behind the fox and his first layer of color in his eye. On the deer side, I put the first layer of color for the dots in the diamonds. But I spent the most time putting in a layer of paint across the deer: pale blue through aqua. I’m using Liquitex acrylic paints. So much left to do!